With summer season going in full flow, it’s time to try different mouth-watering delicacies because food options that are available during the summer season won’t be available in winter. You must have had glazed barbecue chicken a number of times, so it’s time to move onto other options. I have come up with an amazing soy-glazed duck recipe that is prepared in the in-house pellet smoker. If you have a smoker at home, then you can prepare this scrumptious duck recipe on the weekend and enjoy with your family and friends.
- 1.1 whole duck (2-2.5 Kgs).
- 2.100 ml soy sauce.
- 3.500 ml cider can.
- 4.1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- 5.3 teaspoons chilli sauce.
- 6.2 teaspoons honey.
- 7.2 garlic cloves, finely sliced.
- 8.1 ginger, sliced flakes.
- 9.1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder.
- 10.2 teaspoons Sichuan pepper, crushed.
- 11.1 coriander bunch (for garnish).
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
1. Start with scoring the duck skin followed by rubbing Chinese five-spice powder along with some salt, especially into the cuts that you’ve made.
2. Ideally, the aforementioned step needs to be done a day before the actual cooking day because then, you can leave the duck to marinate in the refrigerator.
3. In case, that didn’t happen, you can still cook the duck and get the most amazing flavors. Turn on the heat on the smoker and wait for a couple of minutes so that the flames settle down a bit.
4. For small barbecue: Now, mound the coal up on one side and place a roasting tin at the base of the barbecue alongside coals. With this, you will have the space to close the lid after you put the duck in the tin.
5. For big barbecue: You can directly place the tray with duck in it on the grills or heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/160C fan/gas 4.
6. Open the cider can, take out half of the liquid for preparing a sauce later on, and use the other half. Add ginger flakes and garlic into the can along with sesame oil and 50 ml soy sauce.
7. Push the duck onto the cider can, legs down so as to make it sit in an upright position.
8. Now, stand the duck upright on the tray in the smoker or oven and close the lid. Cooking the duck for an hour.
9. By the time the duck gets cooked, whisk honey, 50 ml soy sauce, chilli sauce and rest of the cider. Brush this mixture all over the duck and then, cook it for another hour. You need to baste the duck after every 10 to 15 minutes with all the juices that are floating on the pan. The color of the duck will become dark and glossy.
10. Take the duck off the barbecue or oven and let it cool down for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, you can mix Sichuan pepper with flaky sea salt, which you can apply on the duck after taking it out of the tray and the cider can. Finally, add coriander to the cavity and serve it to your family and friends.
Author Bio: Monica Henin is the creator of this recipe. She is a foodie and her passion for food has led her to discover different cuisines all around the world. She doesn’t just enjoy the food, but writes about it as well. Her readers enjoy healthy recipes and food tips that she shares from time to time on her website Addonkitchen.com.